Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Life Lessons: What Does It Mean to Be Content?

I learn little life lessons just about everyday… Examples: If you put a package of Emergen-C in sprite- It WILL explode. A little goes a long way. Something as simple as a smile can totally make someone's day. AND hitting the snooze button DOES NOT pause time. These are all great, but sometimes I have break-through life lessons that change everything...

It's only 56 days into this new year and God is revealing lots of exciting things... Throughout my life, there has always been this thought in the back of my mind: "Once _______ happens, my life will finally be perfect." NO…. NO NO NO. God has revealed to me through many experiences that HE IS ALL THAT I NEED!!! It's so simple, yet outrageously meaningful…. BE CONTENT. Those two words have changed how I look at my life. I'm learning to be perfectly content with where I am. The EXACT day, place, time, season, with myself, relationship status, EVERYTHING…. This is God's plan. God's timing. This is where I am meant to be. It is truly a beautiful, wonderful thing. 

The Bible tells us in 1 Corinthians 7:17: "Don't be wishing that you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe RIGHT THERE. God, NOT your marital status, defines you.
Do you see the beauty in that, friends?

Our relationship with Christ ultimately DEFINES who we are as a person… Take a minute and let that sink in…

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13 

Having said that, I have compiled a little list for you…

1. CONFIDENCEBegin praying for God to show you how HE sees you… A lot of times we tend to focus on the negative things about ourselves: "WHY is my hair looking like a rat's nest today?!" "I'm so pale." "I wish I had Carrie Underwood's legs." etc. This is something that I struggle with DAILY. The enemy knows exactly where to sneak in and try to steal, kill, and destroy. DO NOT LET HIM. When we start praying for God to show us how He sees us, we start to realize that He is present and the Holy Spirit is alive and living inside of us. God will start to expose your true beauty in Christ so that you see it clearly. Inside and out.

2. PRAYERTry changing the way that you pray. Prayer isn't supposed to be formal. It can- but for me, it's a conversation with my one true love. Along with talking to Him we have to LISTEN as well. Sometimes we think praying is all about telling God what we want and need and hoping he brings it to us. However, that is not what praying is for. The sole purpose of prayer is being able to have a deeper intimate relationship with God. In having that deeper relationship you will naturally feel contentment.

3.  JOY- I wrote a blog a couple weeks ago about joy and I am a firm believer that even the tiniest things can bring about joy in your life. A good parking spot, catching the sunset at the perfect moment, a phone call from a friend, time spent reading scripture, someone telling you that they appreciate your efforts, treating yourself to some ice cream, etc. When you start thinking positively and thanking God for the little blessings in your life, your vision becomes clearer. You will notice yourself thinking "WOW! I'm so blessed!" Even from the smallest of things. It's great. 

4. REFLECTThink about what makes you happy… Now go do that! Do things and be around people that bring joy into your life. So simple, yet so effective. 

5. ELIMINATE: Stop worrying so much. I feel that a lot of times worry comes so easily to me. I'll start to think about something and then shortly after the "what-ifs" start happening and before I know it I am in stress mode. It happens so fast that I don't even realize what I'm doing. I have to take those negative thoughts and remove them completely. The fact of the matter is that life is way too short to worry, and most of the time the stuff that we worry about is stupid! Let God take the pilot's seat. Stop trying to control your life. Sit back and enjoy what He has in store for you! Live in the NOW. Let Him direct your path. Trust Him. Once I remind myself of His sweet promises, I feel so silly and just have to thank Him for being so patient with me.

From what I have learned, being content doesn't mean you have it all together. It doesn't mean you have a "perfect life." It doesn't mean that your life is even remotely what you expected. Being truly content with your life means that you accept everything as a blessing and a chance to grow in your walk with God. The actual definition of the word content means to be "in a state of peaceful happiness" and ultimately YOU are in control of your happiness. Happiness is a choice and you get to choose to be happy and find joy in your life or focus on the negative. Being content is way easier than I think we make it out to be...

I'll end this post with a verse that is very dear to my heart. Putting my hope in these words have gotten me through the hardest times of my life and continue to encourage me to put all of my hope and faith in my Savior, Jesus Christ. 

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." Jeremiah 29:11-12
That's a promise. :)




-J





No comments:

Post a Comment